Photo school on Samui. Learning photographyDate of publication: 13 May 2019
A lot of people ask me about training. Someone likes my style of shooting, and someone the way of photo editing. Since everyone has different experience and goals, I'd like to outline all possible options here and thereby to answer the majority of questions on this topic.
While having a several years of experience in running a photo school in Eastern Europe, for the last few years I live on Koh Samui in Thailand. Lots of tourists come here for vacation and some personal training, to learn photo, study it practical aspects, might be a nice addition to recreation. Within a short time an interested person will be able to get answers to all their questions and spend one or more shootings with me. Depending on the current situation, it is possible to attend one of my shootings with real clients. When choosing this option, we can discuss the entire program in advance and work out the details. Of course I will help you in finding accommodation and dealing with the local specificity.
Thanks to the Internet, we can work with you remotely. Skype or any other application that allows you to make a video call from your computer is suitable for photo study. Of course there will be no joint practice, but you and me will be in comfortable conditions.
You choose for yourself topics for the training. As each personal program, it will be based on your experience and request that we will discuss in advance.
Here are some topics that may be of interest to you:
- Technical details of shots
- Composition and psychology of the shot
- Portfolio review
- Analysis and recommendations on your equipment
- Organization of the shooting process
- Color correction
- Deep photo retouching
- Psychology of shooting
There also are available classes on marketing, promotion and sales:
- Creating a photo business or photo school
- Specificities of creating a business in Thailand
- Composing a selling portfolio
- Competent representation of yourself in the social networks and via the website
- Promoting yourself on the Internet
- Selling yourself as a professional to the client (Communication during negotiations)
In training you:
- learn how to effectively sell your services online;
- determine the desired cost of the photo shoot and reach this price tag;
- learn how to present yourself easily and expensively;
- get an adequate assessment of your portfolio from a professional photographer;
- create a portfolio that will sell your services quickly and easily;
- learn how to communicate with customers on the phone, via messengers and live;
- learn to justify your price to customers;
- understand how to sell more services by forming a package;
- learn how to liberate customers for shooting;
- understand how is the best to give customers completed work;
If you are on Koh Samui, we have the opportunity to hold personal meetings and workshops. There are 3 possible options:
- Non-profit shooting organized specifically for practice.
- Your commercial shoot, where I'm assistant
- My commercial shoot, where you are the second photographer and assistant
Each of these options has its pros and cons. For some reason the majority of beginners thinks that the most interesting is the last option. Like, live real people and no hypocrisy. But I believe that the second option (your only) will give you much more. But still, this in order:
Practical training photo shoot
We find a model (can be any person), to demonstrate in practice all possible techniques, errors, difficulties and fixes for them. During the shooting I am with you and with the model, constantly monitoring and commenting for you and for the model all the details.
- How and why it is better to make a certain shot
- What should be taken in the frame, and what should not. Compositional technique.
- What posture is better for a model, what is not.
- Camera settings, use of optics
- Psychological techniques for the liberation of the client
Your teacher is your assistant
If you have a commercial shoot, you can take me as your assistant. I'm ready to carry the bag, change the lenses and do all of the "hard" work. But also at this time, will perform the functions of director and organizer. Although I will not do the shooting directly on my camera, I'll comment on the current situation and offer you on how is best to proceed, and most importantly, I will explain why. In my opinion, this is the most important thing in learning – to understand the logic of thoughts and the principles of making certain decisions.
Your assistance on my commercial shoot
This option is not very profitable for training. In this kind of shooting the main thing for me is the client and his comfort, mood, etc. In 95% of cases, I will not be able to explain you certain actions and decisions. You will see only the result of my ideas and thoughts. And the way I communicate with a real client.